Conceptions of the Misunderstood

No fuss and pretense. Just my thoughts hard and fast. Like the way I should be.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Amused by Superman No More

"A 2006 remake of the 80's Superman". For some, that would have sounded like a statement of Hollywood box-office topping proportions. It's like one of the greatest super hero legends of all time has finally come to life once again after being rested (God bless Christopher Reeve). But when I heard it, the first thing I asked myself was am I gonna watch this?
The lack of spin in excitement made me decide not to. But it's Superman, right? Yeah, that's the main point--it's Superman so I ain't watching it. I think nothing could be made new about Superman. He's been embedded so deep on the minds of the people who watch him that they couldn't even vamp up his costume. He's a standard superhero. He can't wear a different outfit 'cuz if he did, he wouldn't be Superman. He must be this and that for him to be him. That's what I love about X-Men, they're flexible characters (kudos to Stan Lee). You can change what they wear, you can change the sides their own and they'd still be the X-Men. Is it in the numbers that we see this battle going to the X-Men's way? I don't think so. I tried to watch Smallville over X-Men Evolution (yeah, the toon) and Clark left me with a bland taste. It's limited action for Superman. He's just extra-ordinarily strong with x-ray vision and a kryponite phobia. I think that's why it's so full of drama, it makes up for the action part.
I never found the fascination for Superman. He's the kind that he's so extraordinary that you've been imagining him ever since before he came. It's Lex, Lois Lane and the Daily Planet. For me, there's nothing more to it. We've seen him carry trucks and leap over buildings in a single bound so many times already--too many times, in fact. I'd rather watch Cars and see Lighting McQueen in actions. Now, that ain't decades old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home